I Almost Gave Up on the Thing I Wanted Most

There are some things in life that you don’t actually stop believing in.

You just stop working on them.

And for some time, you convince yourself that you have moved on.

But somewhere inside, that thing is still there.

For the last two years, I wanted to become a startup founder.

Not because it sounded cool.

At least, I don’t think so.

I genuinely wanted to build something of my own, create something useful, lead people, solve problems and see an idea become real.

But the problem was, I wanted to become a founder before I was ready to handle what being a founder actually required.

I had the dream.

I had the excitement.

I had the confidence.

But practically?

I had very little.

Not enough money.
Not enough knowledge.
Not enough connections.
Not enough clarity.
And honestly, I was very rigid about my idea.

I thought I needed everything to be perfect before starting.

So I kept waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting.

Then engineering college happened.

And somewhere in between assignments, maths, coding, DSA, comparisons, placements and the constant feeling that “I am not good enough yet,” I started moving away from the person I wanted to become.

I stopped journaling properly.

I stopped working out consistently.

Meditation became something I used to do, not something I actually did.

And mentally, I started living in a completely different race.

A race to become “top”.

Top in academics.

Top in coding.

Top in whatever everyone around me was doing.

I kept telling myself:

“First fix your maths.”
“First get good at coding.”
“First learn DSA.”
“First become technically strong.”
“Then think about the startup.”

Sounds reasonable, right?

Maybe.

But there was a problem.

I was slowly replacing my actual goal with the preparation for some imaginary future version of myself.

And I didn’t even realise it.

For almost a year, I stopped seriously thinking about my startup.

Not because I stopped believing in it.

I think I just became afraid of it.

And there is a huge difference between losing belief and becoming afraid to act on your belief.

Recently, when I started thinking seriously about building again, I suddenly felt that fear much more clearly.

What about funding?

What about legal things?

What if there is a conflict?

What if I make a stupid decision?

What if someone takes advantage of me because I don't understand some term?

What if I can't manage college and startup together?

What if I fail?

And then my brain gave me the safest answer:

“Forget all this. Just focus on DSA for three years and get a good placement.”

And honestly?

That option sounds very attractive when you're scared.

You get a clear roadmap.

Study.

Get internships.

Crack placement.

Get a salary.

Life becomes predictable.

But then I asked myself one question.

“If I give up on this now, am I actually making a practical decision… or am I just escaping something because I am scared?”

That question changed everything.

Because I realised that my problem was never that I didn’t want to build.

My problem was that I had started believing that I needed to become someone else before I was allowed to build.

I am learning coding.

I am learning DSA.

I am learning engineering.

But I don't need to become the best competitive programmer in my college to build something meaningful.

My strength has always been more towards leadership, execution, communication, bringing people together and taking responsibility.

That does not mean I can ignore technology.

I absolutely cannot.

If I want to build a technology startup, I need technical understanding.

I need to know enough to make good decisions.

I need to understand what my engineers are building.

I need to know when something is genuinely difficult and when someone is just making excuses.

I need to understand products, systems and trade-offs.

So I am not choosing startup instead of technology.

I am choosing startup + technology + college + self-development.

And yes, it will be difficult.

But difficult and impossible are not the same thing.


The lesson I learned is actually much bigger than my startup.

Please don't take your own belief lightly.

This is something I wish someone had explained to me much earlier.

We often think:

“I can always come back to this later.”

Sometimes you can.

Sometimes you cannot.

There are ideas that remain ideas for years.

There are dreams that survive every failure.

But sometimes, when you repeatedly ignore something you deeply believe in, something changes inside you.

You lose momentum.

You lose emotional connection.

You become comfortable with not doing it.

And then one day you realise:

“I still believe in this… but I don't have the energy to fight for it anymore.”

That is scary.

Because at that point, even motivation may not save you.

You can watch 50 motivational videos.

You can read 100 books.

You can listen to successful founders talk about their journeys.

And still not move.

Because motivation cannot replace years of lost conviction and action.

That is why I am saying this from my own experience:

Don't casually throw away an idea you genuinely believe in.

This does NOT mean every idea should be pursued forever.

You should kill ideas.

You should pivot.

You should change direction when evidence tells you that you're wrong.

But there is a difference between:

“This idea doesn't work.”

and

“I got scared, got distracted, lost patience, and abandoned something I never properly tested.”

The first is business judgment.

The second is avoidance.

And don't confuse the two.


So now I am trying something different.

I am not waiting to become “ready”.

I am going to build while learning.

I am going to study while building.

I am going to improve my technical skills while working on the startup.

I am going to continue working on myself.

And I am going to take risks—but calculated ones.

Not blind risks.

Not emotional decisions.

Not “I will quit everything and become a founder tomorrow.”

Just consistent execution.

Small experiments.

Real users.

Real feedback.

Real numbers.

Real learning.

And if the idea changes, I'll change it.

If the business model changes, I'll change it.

If I fail, I'll learn.

But I don't want to abandon something simply because I became afraid of how difficult it might be.


One more thing I have realised:

You don't always need to choose between being practical and following your ambition.

Sometimes the smarter approach is to build a safety net while still moving toward what you actually want.

I can learn DSA.

I can prepare for placements.

I can become technically competent.

And I can build a startup.

These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Maybe this startup succeeds.

Maybe it fails.

Maybe the idea completely changes.

Maybe three years from now I end up doing something I haven't even imagined today.

I don't know.

But I do know that I don't want fear to make that decision for me.


So, if you have an idea that you genuinely believe in, take it seriously.

Don't worship it.

Don't become rigid.

Don't refuse to accept feedback.

Don't keep a bad idea alive just because you are emotionally attached to it.

But also—

don't kill a good idea just because you were scared, confused, underprepared, or temporarily distracted.

Learn.

Test.

Adapt.

Improve.

And then decide.

Because sometimes the biggest mistake isn't failing at your dream.

It's abandoning it too casually.

And when you finally realise how much it meant to you, coming back may be much harder than you imagined.

I nearly made that mistake.

I don't want to make it again.

This time, I am taking my belief seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of College – But Yeh Toh Maine Socha Hi Nahi Tha…

From Regret to Redemption: Refocusing My Goals and Dreams