Three Attempts, No Quitting: My Journey of Building a Startup from Bihar
3 Attempts, 2 Opportunities, 1 Dream: Building a Startup from Bihar
If someone had told me a few months ago that I would start seeing rejection as a part of my progress, I probably would have laughed.
I used to think rejection meant I wasn't good enough.
Today, I don't see it that way anymore.
This is my third attempt.
In my first attempt, I reached the interview stage but got rejected.
In my second attempt, I was rejected in the first round.
And now, in my third attempt, I have been kept under review.
Honestly, I am happy.
Not because I got selected.
I haven't.
I am happy because when I compare myself today with the person who made the first attempt, I can clearly see the difference.
I have learned more.
I have built more.
I have met more people.
I understand the startup ecosystem better.
And most importantly, I haven't stopped trying.
That's what this post is really about.
Not success.
Progress.
I Want to Build, Not Just Talk About Building
Over the last few months, one thing has become increasingly clear to me:
I genuinely want to build a startup.
I don't know if my startup will become successful.
I don't know if Mediokart will become a big company.
I don't know how many times I will fail, pivot or completely change my approach.
But I know that I want to give entrepreneurship a serious shot.
And yes, I have a very ambitious dream:
I want to build the next unicorn from Bihar.
It sounds big.
Maybe even unrealistic right now.
But I don't think the purpose of a dream is to make it sound realistic on day one.
The purpose is to give you a direction.
For me, the exciting part isn't only the possibility of becoming a successful founder someday.
I am actually enjoying the process itself.
Applying to programs.
Getting rejected.
Preparing again.
Participating in hackathons.
Pitching.
Answering difficult questions.
Learning technology.
Meeting founders.
Building prototypes.
And slowly understanding what it actually takes to turn an idea into a real startup.
Two Opportunities That Gave Me a Push
Recently, two opportunities have been particularly important in my startup journey.
1. Startup Bihar
I cleared the Startup Bihar process, and this is probably one of the biggest reasons I am now shifting my focus from thinking about the product to actually building it.
My next target is the prototype and working model of Mediokart (SAHAYAK).
I don't want Sahayak to remain another startup idea sitting inside a PPT.
I want to put something in front of real users.
Let them use it.
Let them criticize it.
Find what doesn't work.
Improve it.
And repeat.
Because ultimately, a startup isn't built by making the perfect presentation.
It is built by solving a real problem for real people.
2. MSME Hackathon
I also cleared the MSME Hackathon and am currently waiting for the result of the interview round.
Whatever the result is, I have already gained something from the process.
Hackathons and startup programs have taught me something that classrooms usually cannot:
You have to defend your idea.
People will question your assumptions.
They will ask about your market.
They will question your solution.
They will ask why someone would actually use your product.
They will challenge your business model.
And sometimes, you won't have a good answer.
That's uncomfortable.
But that's also where learning happens.
The Next 2 Months: Less Talking, More Building
For the next two months, I want to keep things simple.
My priority is:
Prototype → Testing → Feedback → Improvement → Working Model
I want to spend less time saying:
"I am building a startup."
And more time actually building one.
At the same time, I am continuing my technical journey as a Computer Science student and aspiring founder.
Recently, I have been spending time learning AWS, Linux and cloud computing fundamentals.
I'm still at the learning stage, so I am not pretending to be an AWS expert.
But I am trying to understand the fundamentals properly — how Linux works, how cloud infrastructure works, how applications are deployed and how technology can eventually scale when more users start using a product.
For me, this is important because I don't want to understand entrepreneurship separately from technology.
As a student entrepreneur and technical founder, I want to understand both sides.
The problem.
The product.
The technology.
And eventually, the business.
I Am Still Just a Student
This is something I sometimes forget when I get too caught up in startup plans.
I am still a B.Tech CSE student.
I am still learning programming.
I am still learning cloud computing.
I am still figuring out product development.
I still make stupid mistakes.
I still don't know a lot of things.
And yes, sometimes I also wonder:
"Am I actually capable of building something big?"
I don't always have an answer.
But perhaps I don't need one right now.
Maybe the answer will come after building.
After failing.
After talking to users.
After launching something.
After trying again.
I don't think you need to have your entire life figured out before starting.
You just need to be willing to learn faster than your problems grow.
Startup vs Job — I Don't See It as Either/Or
I also want to be realistic.
My current plan is to graduate and, if Mediokart has enough traction and potential, continue building it seriously.
But I also have a fallback:
a job.
I don't think having a fallback makes the entrepreneurial dream smaller.
In fact, I think being practical gives you more freedom to take calculated risks.
My goal is not to prove that I can avoid getting a job.
My goal is to see whether I can build something valuable enough that I eventually don't need one.
There is a difference.
Building a Startup from Bihar
One thing that makes this journey personally meaningful to me is where I am building from.
Bihar.
There is a lot of talent here.
There are ambitious students.
There are engineers.
There are founders.
There are people working on interesting ideas.
But the startup ecosystem here is still developing, and sometimes you have to actively search for opportunities, communities and people who are doing similar things.
I've started doing exactly that.
Startup programs.
Hackathons.
Technology communities.
Founder networks.
Events.
Online communities.
People working on AWS and cloud technologies.
People building products.
People who are simply more ambitious than me.
And I've realized something:
Your environment doesn't have to define your ambition.
If the people around you aren't building what you want to build, find people who are.
Talk to them.
Learn from them.
Collaborate with them.
And slowly build your own ecosystem.
My Biggest Lesson After 3 Attempts
If there is one thing these three attempts have taught me, it is this:
Don't measure your entire journey by one result.
A rejection doesn't automatically mean you are incapable.
And a selection doesn't automatically mean you are exceptional.
What matters is what happens between two attempts.
Did you improve?
Did you learn?
Did you build something?
Did you understand your mistakes?
Did you become better prepared for the next opportunity?
For me:
Attempt 1 → Rejection
Attempt 2 → Rejection
Attempt 3 → Under Review
Maybe the next one will be a selection.
Maybe it won't.
But I know one thing:
Attempt 4 will not be the same person who made Attempt 1.
And that's progress.
I Don't Know How This Story Ends
I don't want to write a fake success story while I'm still in the middle of the journey.
Maybe Mediokart will become a successful startup.
Maybe Sahayak will evolve into something completely different.
Maybe I'll pivot.
Maybe I'll fail.
Maybe I'll build something else.
I genuinely don't know.
But I want to experience the journey.
I want to see the first working prototype.
The first real user.
The first piece of feedback that changes the product.
The first customer.
The first revenue.
The first major failure.
And hopefully, one day, the first major breakthrough.
Right now, I am simply a student from Bihar trying to build something meaningful.
I'm learning AWS and cloud computing.
I'm participating in hackathons and startup programs.
I'm working on Mediokart (SAHAYAK).
I'm trying to understand product development and entrepreneurship.
And I'm documenting the journey as I go.
Maybe someone reading this is also sitting somewhere in Bihar, or anywhere else, thinking:
"Can I actually build something of my own?"
I don't know if you can.
But I know this:
You will never find out if you don't try.
So I am going to keep trying.
Keep learning.
Keep building.
Keep meeting ambitious people.
Keep getting rejected when necessary.
And keep moving forward.
Because this is not the success story.
This is the part before the success story.
And honestly, I'm enjoying this part.
See you on the other side.
— Aman
Comments
Post a Comment